Monday, June 13, 2011

Making Room for a New Addition......And It's Not a New Baby!

Wow!  I was SO excited to find out this past weekend that the sewing cabinet that my sister has been storing for me in her garage--the cabinet that belonged to my grandmother--has the actual sewing machine inside of it!  I had no idea all this time that the machine was in it.  Below is a picture of it (not super clear since it was taken on my cell phone).  I'll take better pictures when I get it to my house.  I didn't have room in my house to put the sewing cabinet in it, but never forgot about it.  Now, I am going to have to move things around/get rid of a few things to accomodate this wonderful find.






The sewing machine is a Singer 15-88/15-89.  Not quite sure of the exact model # and don't know the serial number yet.  It has the original owner's manual, all the parts that go to it, plus thread in the front drawer, along with other stuff my grandmother had.  It even has thread still in the needle!

The belt will probably have to be replaced at some point, but still works.  My brother-in-law was able to turn the wheel and move the needle up and down.  I just couldn't believe my eyes and kept saying, "oh my gosh!"  The cabinet and machine need work, obviously after all this time.  I am going to restore the original finish rather than stripping it.  I can hardly wait to get it over here!

I'll show my restoration process via photos on my blog of restoring the machine and the cabinet.  So, I guess you could say it IS my new 'baby'!  If you have any suggestions or tips on handling a find like this, please contact me.  Also, if anyone owns or has any information about this particular vintage Singer, I would love to know about it--do you like, does it sew well and anything else you might want to share.    ><> Leslie

1 comment:

yarndiva said...

Hi, I came over from Treadle On. I am also on Patternreveiw as well. That's one nice machine you have!!! Practical as well as beautiful. I hope to see another post about this, how exciting.